- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups flavorful mushrooms such as shiitake or oyster mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and cut into half-inch pieces
- 1 cup brandy, vermouth, or dry white wine
- 3-4 cups chicken or beef bone broth (if you want more depth of flavour, go for the beef) + 2 cups of water
- 1/3 cup of yellow or white onion, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups arborio rice or other risotto rice
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Bring the broth + water to a simmer in a saucepan.
- Melt the butter in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté for about 5 minutes
- Add the rice and stir to combine. Add the alcohol, bring to a boil, and reduce liquid by half, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth a time, stirring enough to keep the rice from sticking to the edges of the pan. Stir the rice almost constantly — stirring sloughs off the starch from the rice, making the creamy sauce you're looking for in a risotto.
- Wait until the broth is almost completely absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup.
- This process will take about 25 minutes. The rice should be just cooked and slightly chewy.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe By Us